|Alias||Purple Pearl Voice|
|Age:||17 (February 14th, 1986)|
|Family:||Noel (twin sister)|
|Voice Actor||Ema Kogure|
|Song||Aurora no Kaze ni Notte|
|Anime Debut||Glamorous Girl (Genwaku no Shōjo 幻惑の少女)|
Caren(かれん Karen) is the Mermaid Princess of the Antarctic Ocean and is the younger twin sister of Noel, the Mermaid Princess of the Arctic Ocean.
When first appearing around Lucia, Hanon, and Rina, she was seen as a loner who had captured Taro's attention, much to Hanon's anger. Towards the beginning of the anime, she is rather cold and distant, similar to Rina, because of Noel.
Despite that Noel and Caren were born on the opposite side of the Earth, she cares about her sister more than anything, up to the point of attempting to save her alone. In the second season, she is wild, humorous, and even a bit strange.
In the manga, Caren believes that her duty as a princess will always come before love. She tells a boy who was trying to flirt with her that she doesn't like boys, and she never gets a love interest. This does not happen in the anime. Instead, in the anime, Caren fell in love with a British researcher named Subaru because he cared about the South Pole just as much as she cared about protecting the Legendary Glacier and her kingdom. It is believed that Caren may had fallen for Rina's boyfriend, Masahiro in Pure episode 20, but it went downhill when she realized that he was talking about Rina.
AppearanceEditCaren has long, light purple hair with curled ends, and in mermaid form, her eyes are purple, just like her hair. Because she's older, Caren is also taller than most of the other mermaid princesses. She has a birthmark on her right cheek.
In the anime, her human form has dark purple hair and gold eyes, and she tends to wear bright colours, crop tops, and jeans. In the manga, her human form has periwinkle hair and grey eyes, and she tends to wear animal prints (this was likely changed in the anime because of budget constraints).
Forms and AspectsEdit
Caren, just like the other mermaid princesses, has three forms. This includes her human, mermaid and idol forms.Human Form: Caren has dark purple waist-length hair with the ends curled. Her eyes are brown and she has a mole under her left eye. Caren's wardrobe consists of purple and yellow garments. Caren has dark purple hair with ringlets and pale skin as well as medium brown eyes. Caren, like other mermaid princesses wears a necklace around her neck carrying a purple shell, containing her precious, purple pearl. Caren's swimsuit is a yellow bikini with a red hibiscus design.
Mermaid Form: Caren's hair is a lighter shade of purple and her eyes are purple as well. Her hair is body-length and is a lot more curly and wavy than her human form hairstyle. She wears a light purple shell bra and her tail is light purple.
Idol Form: Lastly, there is her idol form called 'Purple Pearl Voice'. Her costume is a white short strapless dress with black purple ruffles down the one side and it is above knee length with purple trim at top. Her bow is the same color as her hair, but in a darker shade. Her gloves are white with purple cuffs that extend to her mid arm and her high-heeled boots have the same colors. She has a purple seashell barrette in her hair. Her idol form is very similar to Noel's form, due to them being twins.
- Caren first appears in season 1 of the anime during episode 21 as the winner of the Mermaid Contest.
- Caren is usually referred to as Karen. Her name means "Beloved" or "Pure".
- The beads on Caren's tail in her mermaid form are amethysts.
- The Antarctic Mermaids, Caren included, are representative of purple in the rainbow.
- Caren has a mole under her left eye and her bangs tend to part to her left.
- Despite Noel looking a bit younger, Caren is in fact the younger sister.
- Caren's birthdate is on the latter side of midnight as the day turns to February 14th, 1986 which is confirmed by her official mermaid fortune. Her blood type is B.
- Caren states in Chapter 12 of the manga during her monologue before the Mermaid Contest happens that she and her sister Noel are eighteen years old. According to the official mermaid fortunes in the manga, however, Purple Pearl Mermaid Princesses are born on Fridays and Indigo (Blue) Pearl Mermaid Princesses are born on Thursdays. Given this information, we find that February 13 and February 14 occur on Thursday and Friday respectively in the years 1975, 1986 and 1992; out of these, the birth year of Noel and Caren must be 1986. Since we have proof the series is set in 2003 regardless of the medium, with a simple time-elapsed calculation set for late summer that year (August 31st is chosen for an easy point of reference) we find that Noel and Caren are in fact seventeen years old; therefore, we may draw the conclusion that the writers made an error.